Propeller Shaft, Steering, Missing a Brake Drum?… Let’s put the body on.

Getting to work this weekend took a bit of time.

Turns out the parts boxes are quite dusty and I don’t remember where exactly we left off the last time. I pondered the current situation as I organized boxes, moved an old telephone out of the parts pile, and dusted off the frame to refresh the scene of the work-zone. I seem to remember assembling the brakes last, but I don’t feel like the suspension was completed. Or was it the steering? No matter. The parts are now isolated, as far as I can tell. The boxes are open and the parts are still, generally, well labeled. So we’re able to start the process again, though I know it won’t be quick. There was a reason we didn’t finish 20 years ago…

Log Book

The rebuild process and page numbers reference to: “The Complete Official Triumph TR6 & TR250 1967-1976 (Comprising the official driver’s handbook, workshop manual)” by Robert Bentley, 872 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Mass. 02139

How much reconditioning, bead blasting, painting, coating, etc is required for each part? … what was the purpose of our original tear down?.. I can’t remember. Per the advice from several folks on the ground up project, I’m beginning to move on many different aspects of the vehicle in an effort to identify weaknesses early and give me something to do when I don’t have extra hands to do the heavy lifting.


What is the best order of operations?
Frame; Rear Diff; Brake lines; Fuel lines;…


Steering rack – tie rod ball joint (p.366): Requires a loaded suspension to attach.
Anti-roll bar (p.373): Requires loaded suspension to attach. Can be attached at end of rebuild. Very easy access.
Front cross member (p.372): Not properly attached.


Drive shafts – inner axel shaft connection (p.349): Incomplete
Propeller shaft – Pinion flange (p.334): Incomplete.
Propeller shaft: Mis-installed through the frame. Needs to be installed above the frame.


Upper wishbone ball joint (p.): Rubber is bad.
Front Damper (p.384): Not installed.
Rear Damper (p.): Rubber is bad.


L-R Brake Drum (p.400): Missing


install after body – condition of the harness is unknown.


Fuel line (p.234): We have two identical lines.


Cleaned exterior.
Replace throttle spring.


Posted on

Day 1… Again

While we didn’t keep copious notes at the beginning, I think we can all still remember the early days. This is the beginning of our log rebuilding a classic Triumph TR6 Roadster from the ground up… well, more like from the chassis out, then down, then up.

The youngest mechanic on the project was often left to sweep floors, pick up parts, prepare the toxic/non-toxic degreaser soak buckets, and generally self-educate on the topic. But through it all, these tasks were performed with a constant eye on the team at large. Let’s assume he remembers how it came apart.

In late 2009, the project moved to the newly built shop. In fact, it was so new, that it wasn’t even finished yet. We stuffed the parts into boxes and rolled the frame and chassis into trucks and moved into the space anyway.

Eight years later, the shop is mostly complete and the floors are cleaner. We have running water, a toilet, laundry, our tools and parts racks and cleared out a great deal of clutter that once plagued any momentum. and the refurbished motor, slumbering beneath it’s dust cover, is eager for daylight.

So now it’s time to restart this long-stalled project. It’s Day 1… Again.

Log Book

Current state of the project based on memory


Frame Rear Differential Attachment Point Reinforced
Frame Repainted
Suspension Installed
Forward Sway Bar Installed
Brake Lines Painted
Brake Lines Installed
Brake Disks/Calipers Installed
Tires Installed


Reconditioned (off-site)

Posted on